Friday, April 29, 2011

Am I Better Off or Worse Off Than last Week (Month, Year, Decade)?

Here is an interesting question for all of us sister wives.  Am I better of than last week, month, year,or  decade?

Let's start with decade: 2001- much better, working full time, self employed, large staff, own home- no mortgage, healthy husband, younger and thinner,  investments and income property. 

Last year:  Costs out of sight, H no longer working, income way down, health costs soaring, house gone and in hated condo.  Subject to rages, loveless marriage and more rages.

Last week: bank balance lower, in elderly housing , rent due in a couple of days (have to liquidate more assets not making it .  Rage is a bit better last couple of days.  Less depressed than a couple of days ago since there is some peace.

When did things get bad?  Five years ago marks the beginning of the plunge. H starts to get sicker  Three years ago things start to get really bad and now we have today.  Insulin injections started a year ago and the worst of it really starts and my freedom and peace go.

I should also point out that I am paying for my mother's care since she refused to plan and I can not care for her too 24/7.  Her gifts to my children were  too large and disqualified her from medicaid forever.   They each have paid for homes, I have this mess.
Is there a way to turn the clock back?  Anyone have a time machine?  I could sure use one.

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could give you a time machine to turn back time . . . or at least do something to make things better for you!
    Sending positive thoughts your way,
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you asked your children who - thanks to your mom - do not have a mortgage to split evenly with you the cost of her care? Why should you shoulder the full cost of their benefit?

    Just a thought.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm . . . that IS a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom did that because they could not afford rent or a mortgage. Both children's spouses have massive student loans. There is no work in the fields they were educated for. My children are under employed and on has had a reduction in hours. One has a special needs infant with costly needs that are not covered by insurance. Our family investments took a huge hit in the real estate crash. They can not help. I help them as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete