Monday, April 18, 2011

My cast iron stomach

One thing they never tell you at the world famous diabetic hospital is the gross stuff you have to learn to endure.  As a while of a sick diabetic you learn to cope with the following and still manage to get something to eat and keep it down: 1) rotten teeth and multiple extractions at once as his diabetes affects his dental health; 2) bowel problems and the smells and sights related to them; 3) wounds that are very slow to heal 4);  body odors associated with diabetes; 5) vomit and the sounds of retching;  6) sticking needles into him and drawing blood;  7) watching and seeing him regurgitate at the table;  8) hearing his wheezing and choking cough; 9) constant mucus that he spits out; 10) dirty kleenex in every basket in the house; watching his physical appearance deteriorate and deteriorate.  Then there are all the invasive tests that he under goes and the new trend to let the spouse sit with the patient as long as possible before the test and including during certain procedures.

I spend hours each day just cleaning.  Cleaning up from him.  The bathroom after almost each time he uses it. He uses it frequently and for long periods of time.  The table after he has a fit of coughing while eating.  I now mostly eat by myself in the living room and serve him at the table,  We do not go out with friends any more.  It is too gross to subject them. 

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my own money and complete control over all bank and stock accounts. I also own a home free and clear in another state.

    I have a doctorate and had a very successful career until this happened. I was very well know in my field.

    We were very affluent. Diabetes and the economy changed all that. A lot of our investments were in real estate that is now almost worthless and money pits. I see the money flowing like water while the income has dropped and dropped.

    When you care for someone who is going down hill many things happen and your life changes drastically. I feel like I am losing chunks of me to this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add that he grew up in a brick mansion and was always very wealthy. My family went from wealthy to broke in the great depression. MOM AND MY GRANDPARENTS TAUGHT ME MONEY SURVIVAL SKILLS . That comes from losing everything and earning it back. I pay cash, hate debt, and try to save.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sar,
    Please read my comment on your last post. Meant to put it on this one, sorry. S, thanks for clearing that up: I thought she was the TX DW too after reading your blog earlier. Good for both of you ladies that you own homes that you can go to if the need arises.

    Take care,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete