Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Prisoner of Diabetes?

    It is hotter than blazes, yet he is cold.  He is becoming one of those elderly people who you hear about who refuse air conditioning in the summer and wear long sleeves and long pants despite it being 90 out.  He says he feels like krap, no wonder considering what he eats. He wants the air conditioning off and closes windows.

    His back hurts, no wonder; he is 50 lbs over weight and refuses to exercise.

    He sits home all day, depressed but refuses to take most of his meds.  He spends hours in the bathroom being sick yet refuses to follow his diet or take all of his meds.  He refuses to go out at night

   He has not worked in 10 years and refuses to make any effort to work or keep his skills up to date and blames me saying I took over.  Truth is, I had to when he stopped working.

    His grooming is sloppy and it is a fight to get him to get a haircut.  He would let his teeth rot and he refuses to go to a podiatrist and has bizarre long toenails.

    He refuses to buy new clothes and shoes.  I get them or he wears the same of thread bare rags.

   Diabetes has imprisoned  him but I will not let it do the same to me.

6 comments:

  1. this is a sad state of affairs
    and unfortunately more common than we would hope to believe
    I'm so sorry for you
    sometimes life just sucks
    hang in there somehow life will find a way to bring this around to fix it -- don't know how or when -- but it will.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO NOT let his diabetes imprison you! Sometimes, I guess it feels like that for all of us. My hubby has really gone downhill with his self care as well. Maybe he sees no reason to bother? I just don't know sometimes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would happen if you and friends or family went to the lake house for a week without him? He has a car. He can go to the store. He can call his children. He can call 911.

    It sounds like you are reaching the point where you are not going to let him hold you hostage any more. He might just learn how to give himself his shots for his disease.

    You have lived your whole life under this man. Let him see you roar! What's he going to do, divorce you?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have rebelled. The problem is, he is so dependent that anywhere I go, he is likely to go too. I am heading to the vacation house for the weekend, so he is coming too. He is terrified of being alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would he consider talking to a counselor about the depression? Maybe if the depression were alleviated to some extent, he would have more energy and interest in taking better care of himself.

    I know that a lot of guys are extremely resistant to this kind of thing, but I was wondering if it might help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He has been going to a shrink for years. He refuses the meds.

    ReplyDelete