Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hank the horrible

A friend of mine many years ago had a very abusive husband who would yell at her at the top of his lungs.  We were all quite young then.  He was nasty and obnoxious and he also died quite young.  Funny, I have not thought about him in years, but I happened upon an old add for a type of local soda that he drank by the bucket and it brought to mind Hank the horrible.  He died of a multiple of medical problems and i remember his widow saying that she could not stop him from guzzling the soda.  I think he was probably another non-compliant diabetic.

It seems to be a set formula, uncontrolled diabetics become more verbally abusive the more they refuse to take care of themselves.  I know it.  I have seen it, but it is like trying to single handedly stop an alcoholic from drinking.  It will not happen.  They both need to want to stop.

Welcome to our brave new sister who refused to allow herself or her children watch their father die from lack taking care of himself.   My friend lacked that courage and Hank the Horrible has been dead for many years.  You may very well have saved a life.  Strength and courage to you.

1 comment:

  1. Have to wonder if he was not a diabetic. I just read that 1 out of 3 Type II diabetics have NOT been diagnosed. Maybe he didn't even know? I would guess that number is a lot lower for Type I, as their symptoms are more quickly obvious. Makes me wonder about more than one person I have known. Were they nasty and "crazy" because they were diabetics? Guess we will never know.

    ReplyDelete