Thursday, September 22, 2011

Windowless Waiting Rooms

I went with H yesterday and spent 4 hours sitting in a windowless waiting room with no phone and no wifi connections.  I hate those windowless waiting rooms.  They can be suffocating.  Add to  it the lack of connections to able to get work done and it becomes even more wasted time.  I could have spent the morning at the Louvre and seen as much of him as I did sitting in that room.  I did go outside and sat on a wall and did my work.  This particular hospital, while part of a major medical school complex. has no concern for waiting families.  Another one, around the corner, is far more caring for families.  He goes there too so I know.  I could write the Michelin guide for hospitals in my city. 

Next week, he has a cat scan scheduled and I am trying to opt out from going to that one and sitting around for hours in another windowless room. 

H meanwhile is sluggish and lethargic but not raging.  The med change has helped.  I find that if I am not dealing with him and his problems constantly as in all day every day, it affords me the time to rebuild my life.  Notice I said my life, not his.  He is unfortunately consigned to the old before their time, sick or as his doctor said "your husband is a very sick man" category.  I will take care of him and he can come along for the rebuilding ride, but ultimately it is all up to me to reclaim my life.  I will not, however, sacrifice my being to his illness.  simple as that

3 comments:

  1. It is sad for him but I am proud of you for taking your life back.
    it is necessary -- he chose to destroy his life; that doesn't mean it should destroy yours also

    You are writing in a very different way than just a few months ago.

    It is a terrific change in you
    good luck and continue to have confidence in yourself -- its the only way to survive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a to choose, my survival or the downward spiral we were on. I chose survival, plain and simple. I had another huge financial burden that also lifted. I will not go into it here, but I was freed from a huge expense within the past month. I think that being released from that burden which could have bankrupted me, gave me the incentive to get going, and I have.

    It feels so very good to feel like I have hope and a future that i want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Tom's Wife said, you are writing differently. You have hope now, which is a very good thing! I have had my share of waiting rooms as well, and it is sometimes like being in prison. It's good to know when we just can't do it . . .

    ReplyDelete